Stop. Relax. Breathe. You’ve got this!

The feeling of anxiety and nervous leading up to an exam can be overwhelming – but what’s even worse is these feelings during the exam!

Your palms start sweating, your breathing gets heavier; you’re looking at the girl next to you and see she’s written so much more compared to you… ‘I haven’t done enough study; I’m going to fail..’

Well hold on a second there! Let’s take this one step at a time.

Focus
Focus on something. Look out the window and count the number of black cars you see. Count the number of tables in each row. Count how many people are wearing the same type of shirt.
Do something to help you distract yourself from the nervous and anxious thoughts and means you can refocus your attention.

Tangible Object
It can help when you carry or wear something that reminds you of a positive and calming place. In times of doubt during your exam, take a couple of minutes to hold or touch the object. Think about the time and place, or who you were with and allow yourself to feel good about it. This can bring a sense of calm.

Positive Self-Talk
We can often go into an exam with negative messages. Thoughts like ‘I can’t do this’ ‘I didn’t study enough’ ‘I’m probably going to fail’. By being aware of this negative self-talk and replacing it with positive thoughts can help with your frame of mind during an exam.
‘This is a stressful period and it’s ok to be stressed’ ‘Just relax and concentrate, I can do this’ ‘I’ll get there, it’s nearly over’.
By switching your thoughts and being kinder to yourself, you are more likely to produce good quality work and have a feeling of satisfaction once the exam is over.

Different techniques work for different people, so take your time in finding out which works best for you. It can also be a long journey to find what works and what doesn’t, so it pays to keep practicing.